O’FERRALL OF BALYNA
More-O’Ferrall. The Right Hon Richard of Balyna, co Kildare. PC. JP. and DL. b 1797 m 28 Sept 1839 Hon Matilda Southwell 3rd dau of Anthony 3rd Viscount Southwell KP and has
2.Maria Anne m. 1860 to Walter George Nugent Esq eldest son of Sir Percy Nugent, Bart. of Donore.
Mr More O’Ferrall, formerly MP successively for co Kildare and Longford was appointed a Lord of the Treasury 1835, Secretary to the Admiralty 1839, and Secretary to the Treasury 1841. From 1847 to 1851 he held the office of Governor of Malta
Anthony O’More chief of his name, Lord of Leix, had a son and two daughters:
- Melaghlan O’More d. 1481, m. Catherine daughter. of Conn O’Neill of Tyrone
- the elder Dorothy, wife of Thomas Fitzgerald, 7th Earl of Kildare
- the younger, m. to Brian Fitzpatrick of Castlebar
Melaghlan O’More d. 1481 leaving a son:
- Connell O’More m. a dau of Charles O’Dempsey, d. 1518 and left three sons, and one dau
- AN other
- Roger O’More, Caoch, Lord of Leix. The 2nd son Roger O’More, Caoch, Lord of Leix was slain by his brother Philip 1556. He m. Margaret, daughter and heir of Thomas Butler, 3rd son of Pierce, 8th Earl of Ormonde, and had issue.
- Ellen m. Sir Oliver Grace, Baron of Courtstown.
The 2nd son Roger O’More, Caoch, Lord of Leix was slain by his brother Philip 1556. He m.Margaret, dau. and heir of Thomas Butler, 3rd son of Pierce, 8th Earl of Ormonde, and had issue.
- Rory, slain 1578, he had a dau. Honora, wife of John Morres, Esq, co. Tipperary.
- Charles of Balyna, (Kedagh,) page to Queen Elizabeth, who gave him Balyna as a new year’s gift. He m. the dau. of Sir Maurice Fitzgerald, Knt of Luagh, co. Kildare
- Lewis, whose son
Walter, m. Alicia Elliott, and had a son,
- Patrick, m. Joan, dau. of O’Hely, of co. Limerick, father of
- Edmund Moore esq, m. Elizabeth, daughter .of Maurice Graham esq , and had, with seven daughters, one son,
- James Moore, esq. of Dublin m. Mary, dau. of James Cullen esq, and widow of col. Keating, and d. 2 june 1741, leaving three sons
- Roger, who d.s.p.; (decessit sine prole)
- Edward, of whom presently;
- James, col of a regt in the French service, and afterwards Lieut-Col in the British army, who d. at Fontainbleau, 1813.
The 2nd son, Edward Moore esq of Mount Browne, co. Dublin, m. Jane Reynolds , of Dublin, and dying about the year 1787, left with three daus.,
- Jane, wife of Owen O’Conor, esq of Belanagare;
- Maria, wife of Valentine O’Connor, esq of Dublin; and
- Judith, wife of Patrick Grehan, esq of Dublin
an only son, James Moore esq of Mount Browne, who m. Anne, dau of Denis Byrne esq of co Wicklow, and dying about 1785, left issue
- Edward Moore esq of Seamore Place , Mayfair;
- Walter Moore esq of Liverpool d. unm.; and
- Anne widow of William Jermingham esq, brother of Lord Stafford.
The 2nd son
Charles O’More of Balyna d 1601, leaving (by Margaret Scurloch his wife) two sons and a dau., viz
- Roger, col confederated Catholics 1646, m Jane, dau. of Sir Patrick Barnewall, Knt of Turvey, and had issue
- Charles, col in the army, killed at Aughrim 12 july 1691, s.p.
- Anne, wife of Patrick Sarsfield, of Lucan, and mother of Patrick, Earl of Lucan.
- Eleanor, wife of Daniel, son of Sir Hugh Morogh Kavanagh, Knt.
- Mary, wife of Tirlogh O’Neill.
- Elizabeth, wife of Christopher Beeling
- Lewis, of whose line we treat.
- Margaret, m. to Thomas Plunkett, esq of Clonebreney.
The 2nd son,
Col Lewis More, one of the confederated catholics in 1646, m. mary, dau of Philip-Mac Hugh O’Reilly, and was father of Anthony More esq of Balyna who m Anne, dau of Alexander Hope esq of Molingar, and had (with a dau Mary, wife of Capt Conor O’Reilly) two sons,
- Lewis his heir,
- Roger, whose will (dated 1 march 1746) was proved 9 jan 1748. He m. Ellinor, dau of William Wright esq, and has issue,
- Anthony O’More, gen in the Spanish service;
- May, wife of Robert Daly esq of Caulfield; and
- Mary, wife of Packington Edgeworth, esq of Longwood.
The elder son,
Lewis More, esq of Balyna, m Alicia, dau of Con O’Neill esq, and had with a dau,
- Mary, maid of honour to the Queen of Spain, m to –Ward esq of Madrid) a son and heir,
- James More esq of Balyna, whose will bears date 13 dec 1778; by Mary his wife, dau of Ambrose Madden esq of Derryhoran, he left an only dau, and heir,
Letitia More who m Richard O’Ferrall esq, only son of Ambrose O’Ferrall esq, by jane Dillion his wife, and dying 1778 (her husband survived till 1790) left several daus, viz,
- Mrs Boulger,
- Mrs Morris,
- Mrs Taylor,
- Mrs Pallas of Grouse Hall co Cavan, and
- Mrs Nugent of Killasons, co Longford)
And three sons, viz,
- Ambrose, his heir,
- James, maj-gen in the Austrian service, d 1828 aged 75,
- Charles, col in the Sardinian service, d 1831.
The eldest son
Ambrose O’Ferrall esq of Balyna, m 1796, Anne, only child of John Bagot esq of Castle Bagot, co Dublin, by Anne, his 1st wife, only dau, and heiress of W.Walsh esq of Kilmurry, co Meath, by Elizabeth Nangle, his wife, and by her (who d 1810) had issue,
- Richard More (Right Hon) now of Balyna House,
- John Lewis More, of Lissard, co Longford, J.P. and D.L., barrister-at-law, Commissioner of Metropolitan Police, Dublin, m 1836, Clare, dau of Thomas Segrave esq, a younger son of the Cabra family, and has a son, and three daus
- Edward Gerald
- Mia, and
- James More
- Robert More, in holy orders, d 1834
- Edward More, of Kildangan, co Kildare, High Sheriff co Kildare 1856-7, m 1849, Susan, only child of Dominick O’Reilly esq of Kildangan Castle, co Kildare, and by her (who d 1855) has an only son Dominick, b 1855.
- Letitie, a nun
- Rose-Anna, m Thomas Errington, esq of Clints, co York
Mr O’Ferrall m 2ndly, 1811, Margaret, youngest dau of the late F.Dunne esq of Brittas, Queen’s county, which lady d 1826. He d 1835, aged 83.
BLG 1871: http://tinyurl.com/oagryqp