This is included for a few reasons, but two of them are family related. Herman Lescher, the auditor of the Westminster Land Company is a 1st cousin, four times removed, as is his brother Frank. Frank Harwood Lescher’s wife Mary is also a 1st cousin, in her case three times removed. It’s also here because Alfred Purssell was a founder-donor to the cathedral with his name in the loggia, if I remember rightly.
The Westminster Land Company and The New Cathedral 1883.
We have already given our readers full information on the formation of the new company, as far as it concerned the site for the new cathedral of this diocese. Some incomplete particulars, however, having found their way into a bi-weekly paper, we feel it necessary to give the facts in greater detail :— It will be remembered that we stated that the law binds the Home Office to re-convey the site of Tothill-fields Prison to the Middlesex magistrates. This formal re-conveyance, we understand, has to be made some time within six months, and will therefore in all probability be effected shortly after Christmas. In the meantime the land was purchased from the magistrates by the Earl of Denbigh, Lord Beaumont, Sir Charles Clifford, and the Count de Torre Diaz. These four gentlemen have entered into contract with the Westminster Land Company, which is now duly formed, registered, and in working order.
The Memorandum of Association, which had to be filed at Somerset House on registration, bears the following signatures :—The Earl of Denbigh, Hon. Henry Wm. Petre, Francis Charles New, Sir Charles Clifford, Count de Torre Diaz, Herman Lescher, Alfred Blount.
The new company has now, by a draft Agreement between them and the four purchasers, taken over from the latter the prison site and the land in possession of the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster. In this draft Agreement, to the signatures of the four purchasers are added the names of eight of the original founders or guarantors of the deposit, the remaining two being among the purchasers. These signatories are :—
The Earl of Denbigh.
Sir Charles Clifford.
Count de Torre Diaz.
Edward Devenish Walshe, Esq.
The Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster.
Lord Clifford of Chudleigh.
Lord Arundell of Wardour.
Thomas Weld Blundell, Esq., of Ince Blundell.
Walter Hussey Walsh, Esq.
Herman Lescher, Esq.
Alfred Blount, Esq.
The Westminster Land Company are, therefore, in equitable possession of the land of which the Middlesex magistrates have the power to dispose, and by their agreement with the purchasers and founders take over all the liabilities. The Company’s agreement with the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster, whereby they take over the adjoining portion of land in his possession in exchange for a part of the prison site on the payment of the difference in money value, is in course of preparation for signature. The Company’s registered capital is £130,000, in 15,000 shares of £ 10 each. The Board of Directors and the officers of the Company have been constituted as follows :—
Earl of Denbigh.
Lord Clifford of Chudleigh.
Sir Charles Clifford
Hon. Henry William Petre.
Edward Frederick Devenish Walshe, Esq.
Walter Hussey Walsh, Esq.
Solicitors—Messrs. Blount, Lynch, and Petre, 4, King-street, Cheapside, E.C.
Auditor—Herman Lescher, Esq., T, Princes-street, Bank, E.C.
Surveyors—Messrs. Vigers and Co., 4, Frederick’s-place, Old Jewry, E.C.
Secretary—Francis Charles New, Esq.
Offices—T. Princes-street, Bank, E.C.
The above text was found on p.8, 6th October 1883 in “The Tablet: The International Catholic News Weekly.” Reproduced with kind permission of the Publisher” The Tablet can be found at http://www.thetablet.co.uk .
I wasn’t going to do any more of these for a while. There are relatively few members of the family there. Uncle Edmund (Bellord), and cousin John, as well as Frank Harwood Lescher, who is a first cousin by marriage (to Mary Grehan – Paddy Grehan III’s daughter), he’s also the nephew of Harriet Grehan (neé Lescher) who is also Mary Grehan’s step-grandmother. herman Lescher is his brother.
The main reason for posting this one is the absolutely extraordinary speech by the chairman. I can’t quite work out if he’s scolding them, teasing them, speaking more bluntly than he intended it to sound, or whether the “highly felicitous terms” and “equally happy manner” are just euphemisms for a bit pissed.
The annual dinner of the Benevolent Society took place on Monday at the Albion, Aldersgate-street, and was presided over by the Hon. Mr. Justice Day, supported by the Bishop of Emmaus. Among those present were Mgr. Goddard, Canons Gilbert, D.D., V.G., Wenham, Moore, O’Halloran, McGrath, and Murnane; Very Revv. P. Fenton, President of St. Edmund’s College, Stephen Chaurain, S.M.,Vincent Grogan, Michael Kelly, D.D., and Michael Watts Russell ; Revv. W. E. Addis, J. J. Brenan, D. Canty, G. Carter, C. Conway, D.D., C. A. Cox, J. E. Crook, G. S. Delaney, E. English, M. Fanning, W. Fleming, J. Hussey, C. Harington Moore, E. F. Murnane, T. F. Norris, P. O’Callaghan, M. O’Connell, D. O’Sullivan, E. Pennington, Leo Thomas, D. Toomey-Vincent, C.P., T. Walsh, and J. Wright ; the Abbé Toursel, and the Abbé Richard ; Sir James Marshall and Judge Stonor ; Drs. Carré, Hewitt, and McDonell ; Messrs. J. Bans, W. Barrett, C. J. Standon Batt, E. J. Bellord, J. G. Bellord, A. J. Blount, George Blount, James Brand, Arthur Butler, George Butler, George Butler, junior, John Christie, H. A de Colyar, E de V. Corcoran, J. Conway, E. Curties;, Samuel H. Day, W. H. Dunn, V. J. Eldred, A. Guy Ellis, R. M. Flood, E. J. Fooks, J. Fox, Garret French, J. B. Gallini, W. O. Garstin, Dickson Gray, E. Hackney, W. B. Hallett, J. S. Hansom, A. Hargrave, W. D. Harrod, A. Hawkins, A. Hernu, H. Hildreth, Thomas Hussey, Thomas Hussey, junior, J. J. Keily, K.S.G., Stuart Knill, K.S.G., G. P. Kynaston, Denis Lane, F. D. Lane, C. Temple Layton, F. Harwood Lescher, Herman Lescher, Sidney Lickorish, W. H. Lyall, G. S. Lynch, J. P. McAdam, Francis McCarthy, M. McSheehan, James Mann, J. J. Merritt, Wilfrid Oates, T. O’Neil, Bernard Parker, F. R. Wegg-Prosser, L. J. Ratton, Eugene Rimmel, E. W. Roberts, G. St. Aubyn, M. A. Santley, Joseph Scoles, A. W. C. Shean, Charles Spurgeon, C.C., Philip Thornton, M. E. Toomey, G. A. Trapp, E. F. Devenish Walshe, John Wareing, Thomas Welch, and Stephen White.
After the concluding grace had been said by the Bishop of Emmaus, Mr. Justice Day in giving the health of the Pope, said he really did not know how to deal with his Holiness without incurring ecclesiastical censure. If he wished him a long life, he might be accused of desiring to keep him out of heaven, if a short one he would be denounced as a traitor. But of this thing he was sure he could leave the toast of the Pope to the good wishes of such an assembly as he had the honour to preside over.
“The Queen, “The Prince of Wales and the rest of the Royal Family,” were the next toasts.
Mr. Justice Day then rose to propose ” Success to the Benevolent Society.” He found it was usual to make an appeal for the charity, and if he did not make one it would be no fault of their excellent secretary (Mr. A. Butler, whose name was received with loud cheers), who had filled his (the chairman’s) pockets with details and statistics of the society. But the more he respected their secretary the more he resisted him. He was not going to make an appeal, He was afraid he could not make use of the stock excuse of want of custom of public speaking, nor could he say he was a man that knew nothing about charity, for he was a most charitable man (and he could lay his hand on his heart when he said so). He had been engaged all his life in getting for others what they could not get for themselves. He had had to appeal to juries for justice which judges denied. What would be the good of any appeal from him ? He saw before him a number of well-known charitable gentlemen who came there full of interest in the Benevolent Society and determined to support it to the best of their means. What more could they desire? He had no faith in after dinner speeches. If he attempted to rise into the higher regions of oratory, he would be sure to break down and fall into weariness and dulness. He saw on the title page of their report that this was stated to be ” the oldest Catholic charity in the metropolis,” he presumed that meant the oldest charity in the hands of Catholics, for it was a very long way off from being the oldest, Catholic charity in London was well known by its ancient charitable endowments. This charity was established at a time of hardship, penalty, and trials of our ancestors, and they naturally sought a way of supplying the wants of the old and infirm of their community and founded this charity, and he called on them to support it by their generous contributions this day. He was glad to see the merchants and bankers of the City of London contributed to this excellent work, which was entirely carried out by unpaid officials. He saw they gave gave 150 pensioners what ?—three and four shillings a week ! Not enough for the comforts, barely enough for the necessaries of life ! Let them think of that and of the many applicants who were eagerly waiting to get even this small pittance to eke out their subsistence for the few remaining years of their life.
[According to “The Art of Dining; or, gastronomy and gastronomers” by Abraham Hayward. pub. John Murray, London 1852, the ordinary price for the best dinner at this house [The Albion] (including wine) is three guineas. If the prices were still about the same in 1883, the dinner cost the equivalent of one month’s pension for each of the 150 pensioners.]
The collection was then made, which amounted to £1,040.
The Chairman afterwards proposed, in highly flattering terms, the health of his Eminence the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster, for whom the Bishop of Emmaus replied, in eulogistic expressions, of the great charity of his Eminence to all men.
Sir James Murshall proposed, and the Very Rev. Canon Murnare replied for, the ” Bishop of Southwark.”
The Bishop of Emmaus, in highly felicitous terms, proposed the health of the Hon. Justice Day, who replied in an equally happy manner.
Then followed the healths of the “Bishop of Emmaus,”“The Clergy of Westminster and Southwark,”“The Stewards,” given by the hon. chairman, and replied to by Judge Stonor, after which the proceedings terminated.
There are a lot of Leschers knocking around in parts of the story, so it is probably useful to have some brief biographies of some of them. This one is the son of Joseph Samuel Lescher, of Boyles Court, Essex, and the grandson of another Joseph Francis Lescher also of Boyles Court. Joseph Francis Lescher Senior was one of the two Lescher brothers who came from Alsace towards the end of the C18th. Joseph was the elder, probably by at least ten years, and William his younger brother arrived in England in 1778.
According to Joseph’s niece Frances, “In the second half of the eighteenth century a Laurence Lescher of Kertzfeld, by his overbearing temper and iron discipline, so worked upon the sensitive mind of his oldest son, Joseph, as to drive him to run away from home.It is related that the youth arrived in London with only half a crown in his pocket; but with the indomitable spirit of his sires, he made good use of his natural capacity, and in the year 1778 found himself in a position to marry, and to bring to London his brother William, then a boy of ten.The two brothers eventually became partners in a starch factory.Joseph purchased the estate of Boyles Court in Essex, but William remained in London, where he could more easily keep in direct touch with the practical details of his business.” Frances Lescher becomes Sister Mary of St. Philip, and has a successful career at Mount Pleasant convent in Liverpool.
So from a family point of view, this side of the family are more distant cousins. But back to this Lescher.
Mr. Joseph Francis Lescher, the recipient of the hereditary honour of Count of the Holy Roman Empire from Pius X., belongs to a family which has provided, not only well-known sons to the Church, but conspicuous men of business to the City. Mr. Herman Lescher, (his second cousin) whose death took place while he was yet a young man, established what was reputed among his fellow-accountants to be the largest single-handed business existing among them all. Mr. Joseph Lescher has himself served as a director of the Phoenix Assurance and other companies, and, as this honour bestowed by the Holy See reminds us, has given his services to many a charitable undertaking. Born in 1842, the son of Mr. Joseph Samuel Lescher, J.P., of Boyles Court, Essex, and his wife, Martha, daughter of John Hoy, of Stoke Priory, Suffolk, he was educated at Stonyhurst, and married, in 1875, Miss Mira Hankey, daughter of Captain Hankey, 9th Lancers. He was High Sheriff of Essex for 1885, and is the Chairman of the Brentwood Petty Sessions.
The above text was found on p.21, 23rd March 1907 in “The Tablet: The International Catholic News Weekly.” Reproduced with kind permission of the Publisher” The Tablet can be found at http://www.thetablet.co.uk .
MR. J. F. LESCHER.
We regret to record the death, on Monday last, of Mr. Joseph Francis Lescher, J.P., hereditary Count of Rome and Baron of Kertsfeld in Alsace by grant of Louis XIII. Mr. Lescher, who was eighty-two years of age, was a son of the late Mr. Joseph Lescher, of Boyles Court, near Brentwood. He was educated at Stonyhurst and afterwards entered upon financial and commercial life, becoming a director of the Phoenix Assurance and other companies. He was prominently identified with public life in the county of Essex, where, for upwards of fifty years, he served as a Justice of the Peace, being Chairman of the Brentwood Bench for thirty years ; he was also a J.P. for Middlesex and London. He retained his activity until the end, and was sitting in court only a few days before his death. He had been High Sheriff of Essex in 1885 and was a deputy-lieutenant for the county. In 1907 Mr. Lescher was created hereditary Count by Pius X.—R.I.P.
The above text was found on p.32, 13th January 1923 in “The Tablet: The International Catholic News Weekly.” Reproduced with kind permission of the Publisher” The Tablet can be found at http://www.thetablet.co.uk .
Mary Adela Lescher, [Sister Mary of St Wilfrid] (1846–1927),known as Adela in the family, was born at 17 Church Row, Hampstead. She was the second of five children of Joseph Sidney Lescher (1803–1893), and Sarah Harwood(1812 – 1856). Joseph Sidney was a partner of the wholesale chemists Evans, Lescher, and Evans. His father William Lescher (1768 – 1817), had emigrated from Alsace, France, in 1778, before the French Revolution. Family tradition holds that “Lescher of Kertzfeld” received his patent of nobility in the reign of Louis XIII, in the middle of the C17th. The Leschers were Roman Catholics. His wife, Sarah Harwood , Mary’s mother, was the daughter of a West India merchant in Bristol and a member of a staunch Baptist family, but she converted to Catholicism two years after her marriage. The eldest brother, Frank Harwood Lescher is Patrick Grehan III’s son-in-law; Adela was a year older than Wilfrid (1847–1916), who was ordained a Dominican priest in 1864. Mary’s only sister Abigail, died in 1844 at the age of five. The youngest brother was Herman (1849 – 1897) who died of flu in 1897, aged just forty-eight.
Adela was educated by governesses at home, and in France, where the family had gone for health reasons, until her mother’s death in 1856; after which she was sent to the Benedictine school at Winchester, Hampshire (later at East Bergholt in Suffolk), where she had an aunt, Caroline Lescher (1802 – 1868) known as Dame Mary Frances,O.S.B.; in a slightly curious twist another cousin of Adela’s, her first cousin Agnes, [daughter of William Joseph Lescher (1799 – 1865) and another of Caroline Lescher’s nieces was Lady Abbess at Bergholt from 1888 until 1904, and know as Dame Mary Gertrude. She attended the Dominican school at Stone for a short time. She left boarding-school in 1864 and continued her studies in languages, music, and literature at home under her brother’s former tutor.
Mary had two older cousins, Frances Lescher (Sister Mary of St Philip), who was the principal of Notre Dame Teacher Training College at Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, and Ann Lescher (Sister Mary of St Michael), who was also a sister in the Institute of Notre Dame, as well as their youngest sister Agnes (Dame Mary Gertrude). In May 1869 she entered the mother house of the Notre Dame order, dedicated “to teach the poor in the most neglected places”, at Namur, Belgium, and took the name Sister Mary of St Wilfrid. She returned to England in September 1871 as a professed sister to teach in the Notre Dame boarding-school at Clapham, London. After a bout of rheumatic fever she convalesced at Mount Pleasant and was then appointed to the college staff there to lecture in botany, English, and music. In 1886 she became mistress of the boarders, instructed the senior girls, and taught psychology. In 1892 she was appointed superior of Everton Valley Convent, Liverpool, which ran a convent day school, several elementary schools, and a pupil-teacher centre where boarders were prepared for entry into the Mount Pleasant Training College.
In April 1893 Archbishop Eyre of Glasgow invited the Sisters of Notre Dame to establish a Roman Catholic teacher training college in Scotland which would relieve female students from the need of travelling to Liverpool or London for training. A site was chosen at Dowanhill, in the west end of Glasgow, near the university, which had just opened its classes to women. The college was officially established in December 1893 with Sister Mary of St Wilfrid as its first principal, assisted by four sisters. The first female Roman Catholic teachers to receive their training in Scotland began their course of study in January 1895. Sister Mary of St Wilfrid took an active part in the training of the students and through her singleness of purpose made the venture a success.
A major achievement of Notre Dame College was the development of practical science teaching and the revolutionizing of biology teaching. A ‘practising school’, which was to include both a secondary school and the first Montessori school in Glasgow, was opened next to the college in 1897 and new schools were opened in Dumbarton (together with a convent) in 1908 and Milngavie in 1912. A staunch member of the Educational Institute of Scotland, Sister Mary of St Wilfrid encouraged all her students to join. As sister superior she was manager of the Notre Dame schools until May 1919, when Notre Dame Training College was transferred to the national scheme and came under the control of the national committee for the training of teachers. She retired as sister superior in 1919. She had been instrumental in founding a Notre Dame association for former students and the Glasgow University Catholic Women’s Association. She also set up a branch of the Scottish Needlework Guild to make garments for the poor and vestments for missions, and, after a stay in a nursing home in 1904, had set up the Association of Catholic Nurses of the Sick. Sister Mary of St Wilfrid died at Notre Dame Convent, Dowanhill, Glasgow, on 7 May 1927, and was buried on 11 May at Dalbeth cemetery.
[http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/48666,] with additions.
This is a rather modest wedding in comparison with some of the grand society weddings a decade later. It’s probably projecting far to much on it being an accountant choosing value for money….. The age difference seems to be about right for the times. He’s thirty eight, and she’s twenty eight, and rather sadly it’s a fairly short marriage because Herman dies of flu, ten years later in March 1897.
MR. HERMAN LESCHER was married on Saturday last at the Church of the Oratory to Miss MARY AGNES WILSON. The wedding was of a very quiet character, the party consisting only of the immediate relatives of the bride and bridegroom. The marriage service was performed by the Rev. Father Crook, of St. Mary’s Chelsea, assisted by Father Gordon, of the Oratory, and the Rev. Wilfrid Lescher, O.P. The bride was attended by her niece, Miss Madeleine Wheeler, and Miss Carmela Lescher, niece of the bridegroom, as her bridesmaids. Father Gordon preached a short and touching exhortation to the newly married couple at the conclusion of the ceremony, and after breakfast at the house of Mrs. Robert Wilson,
Mr. and Mrs. Herman Lescher left town for Clifton, en route for North Devon.
The above text was found on p.25, 6th August 1887 in “The Tablet: The International Catholic News Weekly.” Reproduced with kind permission of the Publisher” The Tablet can be found at http://www.thetablet.co.uk .
This wedding has entertained me for a while, partly because it is so ludicrously grand, and also for the guest list, and the wedding presents . It has some members of the wider family at it, though some of the relationships are wildly complicated. Mrs Herman Lescher, for example, was at this point newly widowed, and is the aunt of [Thomas] Edward, Frank Graham, Carmela , and Adela Lescher, and the wife of Celia O’Bryen’s step-mother’s nephew. Mrs. Kuypers, is Frank Purssell’s mother in law. Mrs. Charles Cassella, is Edward Lescher’s wife’s aunt, and then up crop the Roper Parkingtons, though in this incarnation as plain Mrs RP because the knighthood didn’t come until five years later in 1902.
The bride’s parents Judge, and Mrs Bagshawe also crop up at a number of the other weddings, most interestingly Alfred O’Bryen’s wedding in 1900, as does his brother Bishop Bagshawe. Also at some of the other weddings are the Macfarlanes, and the Stanfields,
The other intriguing thing was the almost throwaway line at the end ” the newly married couple left for Milford Haven en-route for Rostellan Castle, County Cork, kindly lent for the honeymoon by Mr. and Mrs Thackwell.” We’ve come across the Thackwells before; Kitty Pope-Hennessy married Edward Thackwell early in 1894 at Rostellan Castle in Cork. She was a forty-four year old widow, and he was twenty six. He was a year older than her eldest son who died young, and three, and seven, years older than his step-sons.
Rostellan Castle had been the seat of the Marquis of Thomond for over two hundred years, and was bought by Kitty’s first husband on his retirement. It’s about five miles from Aghada House, which Edward Thackwell’s grandfather bought in 1853, about forty five years after John Roche had built it. It’s all a very small world…………
It all looks so promising, they were both twenty two. He was born in the spring of 1875, and she was born a little later , in the summer of the same year. But it all appears to go wrong quite fast, and culminates in a spectacular divorce in 1908.
The Tablet, Page 15, 23rd October 1897
The marriage of MR. HERMAN KENTIGERN BICKNELL and Miss HARRIET BAGSHAWE was solemnized at the Pro-Cathedral on Tuesday. The Bishop of Nottingham, uncle of the bride, performed the ceremony, assisted by the Abbot of St. Augustine’s Monastery, and the Very Rev. Canon Bagshawe. The bride, who was given away by her father, Judge Bagshawe, wore a white satin dress with jewelled embroidered front draped with chiffon and Honiton lace. The Bridesmaids were Miss Teresa, Miss Gertrude, and Miss Nelly Bagshawe, sisters of the bride; Miss Henrietta Stanfield, cousin of the bride; Miss H. Bicknell, Miss Muriel Crook, and Miss Frost, cousins of the bridegroom. They wore rose-coloured satin dresses and white felt hats with feathers. Each carried a bouquet of Parma violets and wore a gold bangle set with diamonds, the gift of the bridegroom. The bridegroom was attended by his cousin, Mr. E. Bicknell, as best man. Owing to the large number of wedding guests the reception after the ceremony was held by Judge and Mrs. Bagshawe in the Empress Assembly-room at the Palace Hotel. In the course of the afternoon the newly married couple left for Milford Haven en-route for Rostellan Castle, County Cork, kindly lent for the honeymoon by Mr. and Mrs Thackwell.
Among the many presents were: From the Bridegroom, diamond tiara, two large diamond rings, one large diamond and sapphire ring, gold curb bracelet, gold watch bracelet. From Mrs. Bicknell, diamond crescent brooch, diamond marquise ring; Mrs. Bagshawe, gold and turquoise bracelet ; Judge Bagshawe, silver headed walking stick; Mrs. Hermann Lescher, silver dish and spoon; Mrs. Ullathorne, -silver dish and spoon; Mrs. Mort and Miss Bethell, silver dish; Mrs. Green, silver book marker; Mrs. Danvers Clarke, ivory tusk paper knife; Mrs. Pfachler, photo frame; Miss Roskell, silver frame; Miss N. Roskell, cameo chain bracelet; Miss Pickford, night dress sachet; Lady Parker, large vase; Mr. and Mrs. C. Payne, glass vases; Miss Kerwin, white china vase; Mrs. Shearman, ivory and silver paper knife; Mrs. Fuller, ostrich feather fan; Mrs. Bolton, knife and fork sets; Judge Stonor, silver mounted scent bottle; Mrs. Herbert, turquoise ring; Mr. Morton, Dresden china inkstand; Miss Fortescue, silver mounted purse; Miss N. Fortescue, tortoiseshell carriage clock; Miss Robins, screen; Miss Teresa Bagshawe, gold chain; Mrs. Roper Parkington, books; Miss Gunning, jewel case; Mrs. Cobbold, Nankin vases; Mrs. Noble, blotter; Mrs. Steward, blotter; Lady Macfarlane, antique miniature set with pearls and brilliants; Mrs. Clare, silver mounted scent bottles; Lady Knill, gold lined spoons; Mrs. Hewett, small spoons in case; Mrs. Bagshawe, of Oakes Norton, tortoiseshell and silver paper knife; Miss Eyre, Worcester china vase; Miss Hooper, large flower pot; Mr. and Mrs. Stanfield, dressing case, silver fittings; Mrs. Nettlefold, silver basket; Miss C. Shearman, cushion; Mrs. Troup, silver frame; Lady Austin, hand-painted d’oyleys; Mrs. E. Perry, silver card case; Mrs. Charles Hayes, silver bonbonniere; Mrs. Norman Uniacke, table cloth and d’oyleys; Miss Hall, sacred photos in frame; Count and Countess delle Rochetta, gold and tortoiseshell writing case; Mr. Burton, marble clock; Mrs. Fox, paper knife; Mrs. Payne, silver baskets; Mrs. Kuypers, blotter and paper case; Mrs. Sydney Peters, toast rack; General Sir Frederick Maunsell, tortoiseshell and silver frame; Mrs. D. O’Leary, ivory and silver paper knife; Miss de Freitas Bianco, silver scent bottle; Mr. Bruce, ivory mounted silver bottles; Miss Leeming, antique salt cellars; Mrs. Stafford, silver scent bottle; Mrs. de Colyar, silver bonbonniere; Mrs. Rymer, double silver frame; Miss Henrietta C. Stanfield, silver smelling salts bottle; Mrs. Dunn, frame; Mrs. Bullen, cushion; Miss M. L. Shee, antique casket; Mr. Read, silver pen and pencil; Mr. Fleming, silver frame; Mrs. Mansfield, silver mirror; Miss Allitsen, glove basket; Mademoiselle Delaware, little card case; Miss Gertrude Bagshawe, glove and handkerchief case; Miss Mary Bagshawe, rosary bracelet; Mrs. Le Begue, set of Sevres china plate; Mr. Eland, gold chain bracelet; Mrs. Pridiaux, silver-mounted bottle; Miss Nelly Bagshawe, handkerchief sachet; Miss Lowry, antique gold and silver spoons; Mrs. Semper, Imitation of Christ; Eva and Maurice Stammers, silver and glass sugar basin; Dr. and Mrs. Ball, silver-handled paper knife; Mrs. Chilton, large silver spoons; Misses Chilton, silver preserve jar; Mrs. Jenkins, silver dish; Mrs. Bicknell, cushion, embroidered Indian work; Dr. and Mrs. Bagshawe, large vase; Mrs. O’Brian, silver spoons; Lady de Gee, French clock; Mrs. Clement Bagshawe, casket; Mrs. Charles Goldie, fan; Mr. Waldron, silver tray; Mrs. Henry Slattery, silver frame; Dr. O’Connor, gold and pearl swallow brooch; Mrs. Stephens, vase lamp; Mrs. Anson Yeld, silver salt cellars; Mr. Percy Rogers, ivory and -silver paper knife; Mrs. Lane, silver scent bottle; Mrs. Charles Mathew, antique silver crucifix; Mr. J. Tomlinson, silver napkin rings; Miss Quintor,, menu cards; Miss Graham, silver sugar jar; Mr. James Macarthy, gold bangle set with pearls, emerald shirt pin; Mr. and Mrs. Snead Cox, gold sovereign-purse; Mr. and Mrs. Jessop, silver vases; Mrs. Margetts, handbag fitted; Mr. and Mrs. Pugin, glove and handkerchief bag; Mr. and Mrs. Brown, silver dish for nuts, with cracker; Miss Brown, silver fruit fork; Dr. and Mrs. Ford Anderson, fan; Mr. and Mrs. Jennings, scent bottle; Father Dewar, golden manual; Mr. Owen Lewis, large china vase; Miss C. Bagshawe, necklace of seed pearls; Mr. Nettleship, silver salt cellars; Canon Bagshawe, books; the Bishop of Nottingham, photograph book; Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Stanfield, large silver sugar sifter; Mrs. Charles Cassella, china vase; Mr. Charles Roskell, antique silver dish; Mrs. Charles Russell, silver clock; Miss Henrietta Bicknell, silver purse; Mr. and Mrs. Wood Wilson, inkstand; Mr. Charles Weld, silver horn scent bottle; Father Cox, silver hat brush; Rev. Father Stanfield, work-case; Mrs. Lamb, glass and silver sugar basin. Many other presents were given to the bride and bridegroom, including massive silver salver, silver candlesticks, &c.
There are a number of reasons for including this. Partly it is a great article, and part of English Catholic triumphalism as the community starts to feel more secure in itself. It is also included because there are almost a dozen members of the wider family there. In no particular order:
Mr. W. Smith, M.P, He is Alfred O’Bryen’s father-in-law.
Judge Bagshawe, appears at a lot of family weddings,and his brother,the Very Rev. Canon Bagshawe, D.D., the Bagshawes are referred to as “cousins” in Fr. Philip O’Bryen’s obituary. Quite what the relationship is I’m still not sure because I can find no evidence to date.
Sir (George) Sherston Baker, Bart., is Irene Roper Parkington’s father in law, and she is Dorothea Bidwell (nee Roper Parkington)‘s sister.
Sir H(enry). W(atson). Parker, is Charlotte Purssell’s father in law.
Mr. F(ield). Stanfield, is the brother-in law of both the Bagshawes, and his daughter Henrietta marries Joseph Walton’s son, Joseph Arthur.
Mr. A(lfred). Purssell, – Alfred Purcell is already quite a major character. His daughter (Frances) Charlotte marries Wilfred Parker, Sir Henry Watson Parker’s son, and his grand-son Alan O’Bryen marries Marie Bidwell, whose mother is Dorothea Bidwell (nee Roper Parkington).
Mr. H(erman). Lescher, His sister-in-law Mary O’Connor Graham Lescher (nee Grehan) married her father’s step-mother’s nephew, Frank Harwood Lescher. She is a first cousin to the O’Bryens (Alfred, Philip,Ernest, Rex, and Mary) because her father Patrick Grehan III is Celia O’Bryen’s brother.
Mr. Cary-Elwes, This could be a number of people because there are quite a few Cary-Elwes. The most likely candidates are either Charles Cary-Elwes who married Edythe Roper Parkington in 1897, and is one of John Roper Parkington’s sons in law or possibly his uncle Arthur. If it is Charles, he would be very young, twenty four, to be attending such a grand gathering. It is unlikely to be his father, who is almost always referred to as Capt Cary-Elwes.
Major Roper Parkington, Good old JRP has a habit of turning up to practically anything. By this point he was a highly sucessful wine importer, and City business man. As seen from above, one of his daughters married George Sherston Baker’s son, and another married Charles Cary-Elwes, and his grand-daughter Marie married Alan O’Bryen, Ernest’s son.
Mr. J. Walton, Q.C., Joseph Walton’s son, Joseph Arthur marries Field Stanfield’s daughter Henrietta
What it also does is give a clear idea of a tight social circle, that is also very inter-related.
The Tablet Page 5, 15th April 1893
THE BANQUET AT THE MANSION HOUSE.
The brilliant scene at the Mansion House on Wednesday night marked at once the crowning hour of an honourable career, and in some sort the closing of a chapter in the story of English Catholicism. A very sympathetic audience listened to the Lord Mayor, when, lapsing for a moment into a strain of personal reminiscence, he told how from earliest manhood onwards he had laboured in silence for the good of the city, and all the world has now witnessed his great reward. And when we speak of the reward which has come to him in his 70th year, for all his patient service of the City of which to-day he is the Chief Magistrate, we are thinking less of the proud position he has won than of those golden opinions which the manner of his winning it has brought to him from all sorts and conditions of men,.
If ever a man in the hour of realized hope could look back upon a stainless record, or attained the object of a long and honourable ambition with the knowledge that in the pursuit of it he had never swerved, even by the hesitation of moment, from the path of the highest right, that man is the present Lord Mayor. In his case the battle of duty was fought in the open, steadily and unflinchingly, and his conduct has earned the recognition and the gratitude of men, of whatever creed, who care to see the triumph of truth and principle over shuffling and insincerity. But it will do more than that, it will do more than add to the general esteem in which Mr. Alderman Knill is held by all who know him. His steadfast constancy to Catholic principle upon that large and public stage, where all the greatness of the City was behind him to act as a sounding-board to his words, will give new heart to many a poor co-religionist for whose obscure trial or sordid troubles the world has neither heed nor care.
Many a little hidden tragedy and loss of self-respect, away in villages and remote country towns, as well as here in London, may be averted by this one conspicuous example of Catholic faithfulness ; and long after Mr. Alderman Knill has passed away the memory of that famous day in the Guildhall when he risked the ambition of a life-time, for many a tempted man may help to dip the trembling scales on the side of fidelity and truth. But, as the Cardinal hinted the other night, the career of the Lord Mayor offers another lesson. In his case, to the tenacity and courage which make, perhaps, the groundwork of his character, have been added not only a singular simplicity and directness of purpose, but also qualities which are less often associated with that resoluteness of which he has given such signal proof.
Throughout all this quarrel Mr. Alderman Knill has borne himself not only as a fearless and honourable man, but always with the considerateness and the unvarying courtesy of a Christian gentleman. The silken glove has been oftener felt than the iron hand, he has never fought for trivialities or shown himself unbending except for essentials, and he has been ever ready to respect the scruples, and, when that was possible, even the prejudices of his opponents. It was impossible not to think of these things on Wednesday evening, and not to regard that glittering scene as in some sort the fulfilment of a career. The time of struggle and doubt, indeed, was over long ago, and for many months the Lord Mayor has held with assured ease, his office of Chief Magistrate of London. He has offered his splendid hospitality to all that is famous and distinguished in the land, and looked down upon more brilliant crowds. But the sight of the guests who had gathered at his bidding on Wednesday night to do honour to the Cardinal must have affected him in a different and a quite separate way.
In that famous banqueting hall, officially presided over by the Lord Mayor and the Sheriffs of the City were the representatives of all Catholic England. The Cardinal and the Bishops, Peers and Members of Parliament, the clergy, Judges and leaders of the Bar, journalists, architects, naval and military officers, country gentlemen, artists, merchants, the officers of the leading Catholic associations—all that goes to make up the world of English Catholicism was there. Never since Cardinal Pole was invited by the Mayor and citizens in the year 1554, had a Prince of the Church been thus officially received, and never assuredly for three hundred years and more had there been such an assemblage of Catholics within the walls of the city.
To many that scene seemed like a visible triumph spread out before the eyes of the man who presided there so quietly and graciously and yet had risked so much for conscience’ sake, and risking it had struck such a signal blow for religious freedom and so vindicated for Catholicism its rightful position before the people. But whether considered, as it was designed, as an opportunity for offering public welcome to the Cardinal, or as, in fact, it also became a demonstration of regard for a host whom his guests delighted to honour, this memorable banquet was an unqualified success.
The banquet accordingly took place on Wednesday evening, when Cardinal Vaughan and the Bishops of the English Catholic Hierarchy, and a large gathering of the Catholic clergy and laity, met at the Mansion House. The guests, who numbered upwards of three hundred, were received by the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress in the Reception Hall. Cardinal Vaughan, on entering, was met by the City Marshal, and, preceded by two torch-bearers carrying lighted candles, was conducted into the building. Here he was received by the Lord Mayor, who, with his mace and sword-bearers, advanced to meet his Eminence. All the Bishops wore their silk robes and chains. After the greeting, the guests passed into the Egyptian Hall, where the banquet was served. On the left side of the Lord Mayor sat the Cardinal, and on the right side the Duke of Norfolk.
Besides these, the invited guests were : The Earl of Denbigh, the Bishop of Clifton, Archbishop Scarisbrick, 0.S.B., the Earl of Albemarle, K.C.M.G., the Bishop of Liverpool, the Earl of Westmeath, the Earl of Gainsborough, Lord William Nevill, the Bishop of Nottingham, Lord Braye, the Bishop of Birmingham; the Right Rev. Lord Petre, the Bishop of Newport and Menevia, Lord Norreys, Admiral Lord Walter Kerr, the Bishop of Shrewsbury, Lord Beaumont, Lord North, the Bishop of Emmaus, Lord Arundell of Wardour, the Bishop of Northampton.
Lord Herries, the Bishop of Southwark, Lord Emly, the Bishop of Leeds, Lord Morris, the Right Hon. the Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, the Bishop of Middlesbrough, Lord Clifford of Chudleigh, the Bishop of Portsmouth, the Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, Lord Acton, the Bishop of Cisamus, the Bishop of Salford, the Right Hon. the O’Conor Don, the Bishop of Priene, Mgr. Gilbert, Mr. Justice Matthew, the Hon. Mgr. Talbot, D.D., the Very Rev. Provost Wenham, Mr. Austin, M.P., the Very Rev. Canon Bamber, Count de Torre Diaz, the Very Rev. Canon Purcell, the Hon. A. Petre, the Very Rev. Canon Keens, Mr. W. Smith, M.P., the Rev. Father Sidgreaves, F.R.A.S., Sir Walter de Souza, the Rev. Dom Gilbert Dolan, Sir G. Errington, Bart., the Very Rev. F. A. Gasquet, D.D., Sir G. Clifford, Bart., Mgr. Carroll, Sir Philip Rose, Bart., the Rev. Bernard Vaughan, S.J.
Sir W. Vavasour, Bart., Mgr. Cahill, Sir Percy Grace, Bart., Mgr. Carr, Judge Stonor, Mgr. Johnson, D.D., the Rev. G. S. Delaney (chaplain), Colonel Vaughan, Mgr. Howlett, D.D., Judge Bagshawe, Mgr. Fenton, Sir C. M. Wolseley, Bart., Mgr. Clarke, D.D., Sir W. Blount, Bart., Mgr. Motler, Sir W. Hamilton Dalrymple, Bart., Mgr. Williams, Sir Sherston Baker, Bart., Mgr. McKenna, Sir R. Bamewell, Bart., General Sir A. Herbert, K.C.B., Sir H. W. Parker, the Very Rev. G. Callaghan, the Very Rev. Canon McCave, D.D., the Very Rev. W. T. Gordon, the Very Rev. R. Butler, D.D., the Rev. F. Rymer, D. D., the Very Rev. F. M. Wyndham, Mr. R. Berkeley, the Mayor of Barnstaple, Mr. Percy Fitzgerald, the Very Rev. Canon Barry, Mr. C. A. Scott-Murray, the Very Rev. Canon Akers, the Mayor of Gravesend, the Very Rev. Canon Murnane, Mr. J. S. Croucher, Mr. Hussey Walsh, the Very Rev. Canon Bagshawe, D.D.,
Chevalier Sperati, the Very Rev. Canon Fannan, Mr. N. Synott, Mr. Britten, Mr. E. Wolseley, Mr. J. P. Wallis, the Very Rev. Canon O’Callaghan, Mr. J. Hunt Lilly, the Very Rev. Canon Moore, the Very Rev. Canon O’Halloran, the Very Canon Lalor, Captain Richey, Mr. G. W. Winzar, Mr. James Coen, Mr,. John Knill, Mr. Soulsby, Colonel E. Burnaby, Mr. R. Pargeter, Mr. S. J. Nicholls, F.S.A., Mr. B. F. Costelloe, the Very Rev. Canon Franklin, Mr. G. Whitlaw, the Very Rev. Canon Wilson, 0.S.B., Mr. J. Kenyon, Mr. J. T. Perry, the Very Rev. Canon Randerson, Mr. G. A. Bouvier, Mr. W. Farren, Mr. E. W. Beck, the Rev. G. Richardson, Mr. S. Gatti, Major Gape, Mr. F. de Bernhardt, the Rev. A. B. Gordon, Mr. J. Wallace, Mr. A. Hornyold, Mr. H. W. Bliss, Mr. J. Borrajo, Mr. F. Whitgreave, Junr., Mr. J. Dunn, the Very Rev. Canon Grady, Mr. L. T. Cave, The O’Clery, the Very Rev. M. Kearney, the Rev. C. Tochetti, Mr. Arthur A’Beckett, Mr. A. J. Blount, the Very Rev. M. Gaughren, the Rev. J. Holder, Mr. E. de Lisle, F.S.A., Mr. A. Boursot, the Very Rev. Canon Scott, D.D., the Rev. Dr. W. Barry, Mr. S. Tapprell Holland, Mr. R. A. Harting, the Very Rev. Canon Luck, the Rev. T. F. Gorman, Mr. W. Hays, Mr. P. Wittan, the Rev. G. B. Cox, the Rev. E. J. Watson, Mr. W. M. Honneybun, Mr. E. Tegart, Mr. W. Langdale, Mr. T. Rawlinson, Mr. Edward Petre, Mr. L. Eyre, the Very Rev. J. Procter, Mr. J. H. Pollen, the Rev. Bernard Ward, Mr. J. H. Powell, Mr. F. Stanfield, Mr. A. Purssell, the Very Rev. Provost Dawson, the Very Rev. M. Kelly, D.D., Mr. F. R. Ward, Mr. W. S. Lilly, the Very Rev. Canon Brownlow, the Very Rev. J. P. Bannin, Mr. Lane-Fox, Mr. Wegg-Prosser, the Rev. J. Minnett, the Very Rev. F. Henry, Mr. J. St. Lawrence, Mr. Wilfrid Ward, the Very Rev. Canon Mackintosh, the Rev. D. E. Dewar,
Mr. H. Lescher, Mr. S. Lickorish, Mr. Fitzherbert Brockholes, Mr. Bolton, Mr. Cary-Elwes, the Rev. F. J. Sheehan, the Rev. M. Fanning, Colonel H. Walpole, the Rev. Father E. Badger, Mr. Snead Cox, Mr. H. Stourton, Mr. C. R. Parker, the Rev: E. Pennington, the Rev. Father Eyre, S.J., Mr. J. B. Hardman, Mr. W. Meynell, the Rev. F. Skrimshire, Mr. C. A. Buckler, Mr. Lister Drummond, the Rev. A. White, M.R., the Rev. Dr. W. J. B. Richards, Mr. Everard Green, the Rev. C. A. Cox, the Rev. W. Barry, Mr. Santley, the Rev. E. Buckley, Mr. A. Oates, the Rev. E. Martin, Major Roper Parkington, Mr. J. McAdam, Mr. Borff, Mr. E. Bellasis, Mr. E. D. Purcell, the Rev. W. Fleming, M.R., Colonel Tully, Mr. Murphy, Q.C., Mr. L. C. Lindsay, the Rev. T. Graham, D.D., Mr. G. Blount, Mr. J. Walton, Q.C., Mr. W. Wilberforce, the Rev. D. Skrimshire, Mr. A. B. Glewy, the Rev. R. Buckler, Mr. E. J. Fooks, Mr. C. Gasquet, Mr. T. Meyer, Mr. A. B. Kelly, Mr. F. R. Langton, Mr. Basil Fitzherbert, the Rev Dr. Moyes, Mr. St. George Mivart, F.R.S., the Rev. R. C. Bone, the Rev. W. Ignatius Dolan, the Rev. J. S. Vaughan, Major Trevar, the Rev. Father Hayes, S.J., Mr. J. Brand, Mr. Ogilvie Forbes, Mr. S. D. Williams, Mr. J. Steuart, Mr. W. H. Bishop, Mr. J. S. Purcell, C.B., Mr. J. V. Hornyold, Mr. J. Incledon, Mr. Albert A’Beckett, Mr. W. D’Alton, Mr. C. Kegan Paul, Mr. W. H. J. Weale, Mr. A. R. Dowling, Mr. A. C. Wood, F.S.A., Mr. Hillier Gosselin, Mr. W. H. Lyall, Mr. H. D. Harrod,F.S.A., Mr. C. R. Parker, Jun., Mr. R. Cafferata, Mr. R. Woodword, Mr. W. S. Craig, Mr. Wilfrid Herbert, Mr. W. Pyke, Mr. J. Hosslacher, Dr. O’Reilly, Mr. P. P. Pugin, Mr. Washbourne, Mr. F. T. Silvertop, Mr. W. Keatinge, Mr. E. Hibbert, Mr. W. Keane, Mr. R. H. C. Nevile, Mr. Casella, Mr. W. G. Freeman, Mr. J. S. Hansom, Mr. F. M. Lonergan, Mr. J. P. Munster, Mr J. F. Caulfield, Mr. C. Kent, Mr. R. Sankey, Mr. R. W. Berkeley, Mr. J. B. Carney, Mr. R. J. Walmesley, and Mr. C. T. Layton.
After the tables were cleared, The LORD MAYOR rose to propose the first toast,—That toast, he said, always uppermost in the hearts of Englishmen, and especially citizens of London, the health of the Sovereign, under whose gentle sway the country has lived and prospered for more than fifty years—her Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria. Since the very commencement of her reign, said Alderman Knill, all have been fully conscious that she has entered into the griefs and joys of every one of her subjects, and that she has the desire to alleviate those sorrows, and to participate in their rejoicings. Their loyalty was almost warmed to love when they recognized her great sympathy with her Catholic subjects in all their troubles. To her all homage was due ; and their prayers were, that she who had ever been an example in the acknowledgment of her dependence upon a Higher Power, might be long spared to rule over them and see her people united and contented. Following the old tradition still retained in the great city’s walls, he prefixed the health of him, the great Head of the Church, Christ’s Vicar, who, seated on Roman Heights in incense laden atmosphere, kept an ever watchful eye on every portion of his vast flock ; to him who raises up his mighty voice to lead in all emergencies—the Holy Eather who speaks to all as children. He asked them to drink to the” Pope and the Queen.” The LORD MAYOR proposed the second toast—” The Prince of Wales, the Princess of Wales, and all the Royal Family.” We love and reverence them, he said, as our fellow-citizens. Almost every one of our Princes has connected himself with one of our Guilds, and like our much loved Queen, they are always ready and willing to do all in their power to help the needy and suffering. Whenever any dire calamity strikes the land,one of our Princes or Princesses comes forward to assuage the grief and remedy the evil. He trusted that H.R.H. the Princess of Wales might soon again be restored to health—she, our Peerless Princess whom all loved and honoured.
In rising to propose the third toast, that of “His Eminence Cardinal Vaughan,” the LORD MAYOR said that it was customary at this juncture to say something about our Defensive Forces and Legislative Houses, but their special purpose of meeting together was to do honour to Cardinal Vaughan. Let him do that. He (the Lord Mayor), had endeavoured to bring together not only representatives of one body, but representatives of trade and guilds, of art and science and literature, peers, commoners, sculptors, poets and historians, our professors and scholars —all had come to pay their tribute of love and homage to his Eminence. He (the Lord Mayor), as Chief Magistrate of the great City of London, felt unworthy in this, his 70th year, of being allowed such an honour as to entertain his Eminence, and he assured his guests that he should never forget that honour. It was with the greatest pleasure that he wished his Eminence the best of blessings and the best of health to contend with the work he had before him. He had the virtues and actions of all his predecessors, and he invited all to drink, with all sincerity of heart, the health of his Eminence Cardinal Vaughan.
CARDINAL VAUGHAN, who was warmly greeted on rising to reply, said that he heartily thanked the company for the great honour they had paid to his colleagues and himself. He felt conscious of his unfitness in many ways for the post in which he had been placed. But he could assure them that he felt in no manner discouraged, and that he should always do his very best. (Cheers.) The honour paid to him and his colleagues that night was the greater and the more acceptable when they recognized in the Lord Mayor not only a genuine Englishman but a typical Catholic layman. (Cheers.) He had upheld his great religious principles in a way that had won for him the admiration of the whole world. (Cheers.) That great municipal hall had from time to time been placed at the disposal of various religious bodies, who, by their position and by their work, had a claim to an opportunity of furthering projects which they wished to carry out for the good of their fellow creatures. He rejoiced that an opportunity had now been afforded to the religious body to which nearly all those present belonged of meeting together in the same place. They, too, had at heart the interests of the community at large. (Cheers.) Their history was bound up with the history of England ; their religion was at the basis of civilization; they represented, as strongly and as consistently as any body of men to be found in the country, the vital and noble principle of Christian education. (Cheers.) They contended not merely for the traditions of their creed, but for the great principle of natural law that parents ought to be able to educate their children in such schools as they decided upon and thought fit. (Cheers.) In doing this no one ought to be subject to any loss or deprivation. (Cheers.) They demanded a jealous watchfulness over parental liberties, and they would withstand any education system which they believed to be destructive of those liberties. In this they felt that they were acting in common with the great majority of the people of this country. (Cheers.) He was glad, in replying to the compliment which the Lord Mayor had paid them, that he should have been enabled to declare in that great hall how devotedly attached the whole Catholic body in England were to the civil institutions of the country and to the maintenance of Christian and parental liberties. (Cheers.) They all feel deeply grateful to the Lord Mayor for his kindness to them on that memorable occasion. (Cheers.)
The DUKE OF NORFOLK, in proposing ” the health of the Lord Mayor,” said all Catholics were grateful to him for the kind thought that prompted him to bring them together in that splendid hall in this Low Week. That week had, as far tack as he could remember, been the traditional week for Catholic reunions. The Bishops had always met then to take counsel with one another, and for the arrangement of their pastoral work. The Catholic School Committee, the body to whose special care had been entrusted all that concerned the vital’ work of Catholic primary education, had also chosen that week for their deliberations. So too the annual reception at Archbishop’s House had been timed to suit the convenience of the many Catholics who came to town for Low Week. In other years, however, they had done their several work and then gone their several ways without thought of any common trysting place. This year the kindness of the Lord Mayor had led him to offer them his splendid hospitality, and afford them one more common meeting ground, at the Mansion House. He eulogized the qualities of the Lord Mayor, saying that he represented— and represented well—the beating heart and centre of that vast empire to which they all belonged. He concluded with a reference to the fact that the Lord Mayor had just entered upon his 70th year, and then went on to say that his hearers might not be so well familiar with another little piece of family history. Mr. Alderman Knill had a grandson who had had the temerity to begin his seventh year precisely when the Lord Mayor was beginning his 70th. He (the Duke) thought they were well justified, therefore, in hoping that another generation of citizens might be ruled from the Mansion by a scion of the house of Knill. The LORD MAYOR, in reply, said he felt the great honour that the Duke of Norfolk had paid him. He was indeed proud to be at the head of this dear city of London, and loved his name to be connected with its name. He had endeavoured, as every one in his position would, to do his duty, and he trusted that to the last day of his life he would act on the principle of doing openly what his conscience ordered him. He loved his fellow-citizens and had endeavoured and would endeavour to put away any prejudice in favour of his co-religionists, and act justly and impartially by all.
The following was the Menu :
POTAGES. Tortue et Tortue Claire.
POISSONS. Tranches de Saumon a la Morny,Turbot. Blanchaille
RELEVES Timbale a la Bayonne, Escalopes de Cailles a la Monte Carlo.
ENTREES. Cote d’Agneau. Canetons aux Petits Pois. Jambon au Madere.
ENTREMETS. Chaudfroid a la Strasbourg. Bavarois aux Conserves. Gelees aux Pistaches.
RELEVES Fanchonettes a la Biscottini. Supremes d’Abricots a la Creme.
DESSERT.Bombe a la Francaise. Crotites a L’Indienne.
The following was the programme of music performed during dinner by the Coldstream Guards’ Band (by permission of Colonel J. B. Sterling) :
GRAND MARCH “The Silver Trumpets’ Viviani.
SELECTION “Haddon Hall” Sir A. Sullivan.
VALSE ” Serenade ” O’Meta.
SELECTION ” Cavalleria Rusticana” Mascagni.
ENTR’ ACTE “La Colombe” Gounod.
MENUET DE MANON Massenet.
SELECTION “La Mascotte” Audran.
VALSE “Espana” Waldteuftl. PART SONG “Sweet and Low” Sir, J. Barnby.
SELECTION “II Mercante de Venezia” Pinsuti. CONDUCTOR: MR. C. THOMAS.
The following was the programme of vocal music sung after dinner by Master Ernest Howland, Master Harold Ohlson, Mr. John Bartlett, Mr. Edgar Pownall, Mr. A. Sinclair Mantell, and Mr. Charles Radburn, of the choir of the Pro-Cathedral, Kensington :
“GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.” “AD MULTOS ANNOS.”
“The Crusader” ” Spring” “Sing we and chaunt it” “Village Blacksmith” “Stars of the Summer Night” “When Evening’s Twilight” Pinsuti. Macfarren. Pearsall. Hatton. Hatton. Hatton.
THE TOAST OF “THE POPE AND THE QUEEN : SUBSEQUENT ISSUES.
At a meeting of the Court of Common Council on Thursday afternoon, Mr. W. 0. Clough, M.P., asked the Lord Mayor if he was correctly reported in that morning’s paper, as having, at a banquet at the Mansion House the previous night, placed the name of the Pope before that of the Queen in submitting the first toast to his distinguished guests. The Lord Mayor, who was cheered on rising, said he had very great pleasure in answering the question put to him. When he accepted the office of Lord Mayor he assumed that every one understood that he would not allow anything whatever to interfere with his conscientious convictions. He had taken care ever since he had been at the Mansion House to do nothing whatever to interfere with the scruples, or even the prejudices, of his fellow-citizens, and he had cordially given the use of the Mansion House to every religious body which was doing work in this great metropolis. While saying that, he believed that, as a Catholic, he had a right to receive as his own honoured guests those of his faith to whom he looked up with high reverence and respect. It was his original intention to make the banquet a private one, and not to invite the press, but it was represented to him that if that were done it might be thought that he was ashamed of what he was doing. That was certainly not the case. In regard to the particular toast, he said he was glad to follow the example of the City Guilds and others, who invariably recognized a High Power, and gave their first toast in the form of “Church and Queen.” He gloried that that was so in the City of London, and though he had not been able to take part in the spiritual devotions of his fellow-citizens, he rejoiced in their manifestations of religious devotion. Following that principle, he, addressing guests who looked upon the Holy Father in Rome as the head of their Church, as he did, coupled the name of the Pope with that of the Queen, not abating in so doing one jot of the loyalty and affection which they entertained for her gracious Majesty. The Lord Mayor was loudly cheered on resuming his seat.
Mr. Clough reserved the right to raise the question on another occasion.